About Kathy Carter
As a college student, I spent two summers working at Bennett Publishing Company, a small, family-owned textbook publisher in Peoria, Illinois. Although I helped out in several departments, the staff and I had no doubt that the editorial department was where I belonged.
After graduation, I was immediately hired by Bennett as an Assistant Editor. Soon I was promoted to Associate Editor and then to Editor. Meanwhile, the Bennett firm changed hands several times, eventually becoming part of the Glencoe division of McGraw-Hill.
In October 1989 I was promoted to Senior Editor. For the next 16 years, I managed all editorial aspects of the Family and Consumer Sciences textbook programs assigned to me. I helped plan components, developed chapter outlines, wrote photo specs, prepared writing and editing guidelines, monitored authors and freelancers, reviewed and revised manuscripts, approved photos, and checked proofs.
Although I loved being part of the publishing industry, over the years I found myself spending more and more time on project management and administrative tasks. I wanted to get back to what I do best: working with words hands-on. So in November 2005, I left the company to start my own freelance editing business.
I haven’t regretted that decision for a second. I love the independence and variety of freelancing, and I get great satisfaction from helping my clients create better books.
Education and honors
- B.A. summa cum laude, Rhetoric, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1982
- University Honors (Bronze Tablet)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- Chicago Women in Publishing
Philosophy and values
- I believe that sharing worthwhile ideas is important and that good writing is the best way to do that.
- I use my talents and skills to help people express their ideas in ways that have the most impact and provide the most value to others.
- While working independently, I maintain positive, collaborative relationships with clients and colleagues.
- I am dedicated to providing my clients with excellent service and top-notch results.
Ready to put my expertise to work for you?
Contact me for a free, no-obligation consultation.